Friday, April 16, 2010

the latest from Moab Utah

Up early this morning as I usually am. Figured this would be a good time to share what is happening in Moab. Our group from Arkansas consisted of 5 this year. We were planning on 6, but Randy Murray had work come up at the last minute. Shane Davis, Drew McMurrin, me, and Brad Nielsen left Bella Vista around 5:20pm on Tues evening and met up with Brad's cousin Ryan Waite in Joplin. We drove all night to arrive in Moab around 10am Wed. We rode Klondike Bluffs and Bartlett Wash our first day. Last year at Bartlett, I rode down one steep ravine and passed up another, the famous one known as the toilet bowl. This year, after a little hesitation, I did it. I'll post video when I get it from my friends. My friend Rob Kelsey was right behind me on the way down.
Other friends arrived Wed. night, and we rode Amassa Back yesterday. According to Gene Poncelett, we gained 2100 feet of elevation during that ride. I've ridden this trail twice before, but this time we added some other singletrack that I hadn't done before. Unfortunately, I had a crash on the way back down...still not sure what happened, all I know is that I heard myself hit a loose rock that may have flown up into my bike. It jackknifed my bike and threw me down against the solid rock surface underneath me. I'm sore in a few places, but doing fine.
I took the AR group up to ride the practice loop of slickrock as well. We were all tired from Amassa, so we didn't feel like doing much at that point. Today, we head for Porcupine Rim, the best trail i know in Moab.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Finish of race in Kansas 2004