Sunday, January 31, 2010

Training for my first 24 hour race


So I officially began training for the race on Jan 13th. That's only a month out from the actual event! Reminds me of my high school track days when we would only be a month out from our first meet when track practices began, and Coach Lair would send out out the first week to just run the streets of Chillicothe, MO for an hour or so.

The weather has been less than helpful the last several weeks. We got lots of rain, and then, lots of snow and ice (for this area) at the end of Dec. and just this week, so getting out on the trails has not been happening much. Lucky for me, my coworker Mike has a bike trainer that he brought to the office, and lucky for me, he said I am welcome to use it. I don't have the shoes for his bike, but, lucky for me, I still had the rear wheel from my old 2004 Stumpjumper that Shane Santos bought from me. He replaced the rear wheel and gave me the old one, cassette and all. So I took the wheel and put a smoothe beach cruiser tire on it. Now all I do is swap wheels out on my Enduro and pedal in the office.

Knowing that a 24 hour race will require that each team member ride multiple times during the event (team members usually trade off laps, which means 3 or 4 laps per rider) I am trying to train more than once per day. I know in the past how tough it is to get out and ride after having given it your all already in the same day. Hopefully I will be ready....ok there is NO WAY I will be ready, but I hope to be more ready than I would have otherwise been.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Finish of race in Kansas 2004